Friday, July 6, 2007

My Country


I am unabashedly patriotic. I love my country and am proud to be an American. I fly the flag proudly and still get a bit choked up when they play or sing our National Anthem. I have lived in other countries long enough - over 23 years in Africa- that I appreciate the blessings of being a citizen of the United States. At the same time I try not to be the "Ugly American". Having lived in other countries and having friends from literally all over the world, I appreciate and respect other countries and cultures and understand their national pride.
This Fourth, Greta and I went out looking for fireworks displays and found one at a town a few miles outside of Louisville where we live. I like the small town fireworks displays. The big crowds such as the million or so who attend the now world famous "Thunder Over Louisville" turn me off. It was pleasant to sit back and watch the "Rockets red glare" and reflect on what it all means to me as an American. God bless America!

1 comment:

Andy Rayner said...

Hi Wayne
I think it's great your happy with America. I don't cry when I see the flag, but I get a few twigs of envy when I see how much of your income the Avg American can keep instead of paying it in Taxes. We have services in Canada, but we pay through the nose for them as well.