Saturday, October 25, 2008

TRAINS


It has been a long time since I took a train trip in the US. The last one I remember was a trip to Chicago, IL back in the late 1960s. The earliest train ride I remember was a trip with my grandfather who worked for the Southern Railroad. The Southern was still using steam engines in those days, so it was a rather romantic trip to Papa's work site in somewhere in Tennessee.
During our trip to Europe in September we used the train between Hungary and Romania. Last year we used the train to get to the airport in Hungary and three years ago I used the train to travel back and forth across Italy to visit our friends there.
In most of Europe trains are relatively inexpensive, clean, safe, dependable and quick. With gas prices so high and air travel getting more and more expensive, I would like to see someone try to bring our US railroad passenger system back.

No comments: