Friday, February 27, 2009

Jury Duty

I am 71 years old and have never been called to jury duty until two weeks ago. They told us that it was an important part of our "civic duty" and likely the only time we would be directly involved in government service. We were actually subpoenaed by the court, so it was far from voluntary. Our "pay" was $5 per. day plus $7.50 expenses. It actually cost $6 per day for parking and we had to provide our own lunch. There was not even coffee!! So when you do the math, it's not the highest paying job I ever had.
On the other hand, I did learn a lot about our justice system and how the courts actually function. I also met some interesting people. The jury pool is supposed to by a sample of the entire community. I served on one jury with a former basketball star from the University of Louisville and met a lawyer who had played on the same team with him. I learned that almost no one is exempt from jury service, police, doctors, business people, even judges.
It was a good education, mostly in patience as we spent most of our time sitting and waiting (I did finish reading one entire book), a lesson in human nature and a "once in a lifetime experience" that I can wait for 71 years to do again.

No comments: